Monday, January 7, 2008

I guess He'd wash my feet, too

A little preaching, then cute kid things:

Usually my morning Bible reading time is a gotta-hurry-through-this-gonna-be-late-what-did-I-just-read-again kind of event. Every once in a while, though, something really grabs hold. I was reading in John this morning about Jesus washing the disciples' feet, something I've read or heard about dozens of times in my life. Every one always focuses on Jesus and Peter's exchange and how Peter tells him not to wash his feet, then asks him to wash his hands and head as well. That's a really important exchange, don't get me wrong, but the thing that really hit me this morning was a little more between the lines. The next thing Jesus says is: "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." The "though not every one of you" refers to Judas and his upcoming betrayal. Jesus knew that Judas was going to betray him, we all know that, but here's the thing: Jesus still washed Judas' feet. He knelt before and washed the feet of the man who would very soon leave to turn Jesus in to have him killed and he knew it. And he probably thought, This man, too, I love enough to die for.

Anyway . . . Walker wanted a snack the other day. Carla, being a good mom, told him he could have an apple, a banana, or an orange. Walker went to the kitchen and brought Carla an apple and a banana.
Carla: No, Walker, you can only have one or the other.
Walker: But I want two. Just like the song. (I like to eat, eat, eat . . .)
Walker won and got to eat both. Ellie also decided she wanted an apple.
Ellie: Cut my apple with a soft Ife, Mommy.
We don't have any soft knives so Carla used an apple slicer.
Walker: Oh, I like that one. It's my favorite.
We only have the one apple slicer but I'm glad Walker approves.

I got home from Youth last night and saw that Carla and the kids had made popcorn.
Kurt: Wow, a popcorn night! You guys must have been good.
Walker: Yeah. Mommy's really good at making black ones!
She didn't really mean to but they loved them and now she's got me beat out for first string popcorn maker.

2 comments:

Jen said...

black ones meaning burnt? Blech!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Agreed Jen.......Blech on the burnt "blask" ones. EWE!