Friday, March 28, 2008

Don't worry. She was going to cut the CHAIR.

Carla called me last night while I was in class. I ignored it at first but she called right back so I stepped out of class and answered. I figured she must be on the way to the hospital with a kid with a broken arm or something. Maybe the house was on fire, maybe she just found out Norm MacDonald was making his return to TV. You know, something that she urgently needed to tell me. Well, here's how it went.
Kurt (a little short because I got called out of class): Yeah?
Carla (near hysterics): I need your saw!
Kurt: What? (because I couldn't hear her because Ellie was crying in the background)
Carla: I need your saw!
Kurt: What? (because I couldn't believe that my wife had just gone crazy)

As it turns out, Ellie had gotten her foot stuck between the slats of one of our kitchen chairs. She was OK and just told Carla that she was stuck. Then, when Carla tried to get her loose and couldn't, even with Crisco, Walker broke down crying and saying, "I just want to play golf with Ellie in the living room," which they do after supper a lot of times. Doubtless, he thought she'd be stuck there forever and they'd never get to golf again. Anyway, that got Ellie started crying and that's when Carla called me. Eventually, I sort of calmed Carla down and told her to call my dad, who came over and wiggled her free. Just how he wanted to spend his birthday - prying a 2-year-old out of a chair. By the way, happy birthday, Dad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I have to defend myself. I was actually very proud of myself for being calm. I first tried to get her leg out by myself, but when I realized that I couldn't without help, I told Walker to go get Ellie's favorite story. He did, but he also broke into hysterics b/c he was worried. I calmed Ellie down a lot easier than Walker. I was going to call Dale first, but I then I changed my mind at the last second and dialed Kurt's cell phone. I DID NOT SAY "I need your saw." I told him what happened and asked him if he thought I should try to cut the spindle off the chair. Now here's the truth . . . He actually told me to get the saw off of his work bench if I could find it. After I hung up, I decided that a two year old and a saw were not a good mix, so I called my great father-in-law, and he came to the rescue. With two people wiggling her into the right position, we got her leg out easily. Walker was upset b/c we didn't use a saw! Ellie's leg was a little swollen and bruised, but she's tough. That's the rest of the story. I'm not maniac wife who goes crazy when her daughter's leg is stuck in a chair. I'd like to have seen what Kurt would have done! By the way, Anderson slept through it all!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Tell Carla I can relate- Paige sunday a.) locked me out of the house while I was taking out the trash and b.) almost "broke her nose" (well not really, the dr said it was just really badly bruised and her sinuses were inflamed) and we were in statcare for 2 hours with a bloody nose. So hysterics, yes, I know about that!
-Julie

Unknown said...

Soooooooo...Norm MacDonald isn't coming back to TV?