Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Here I sit all broken back-ed

Sorry it's been so long. We lack the awesome power of the weally wide web at home so I can really only post at work. I haven't been at work in a while, either. Until today, I'd been pretty much laying on my living room floor reading and watching weekday afternoon TV. What happened? Well, it's a long story but somewhat humorous for everyone but me so I'll tell it.

Early Friday morning I woke up with a searing pain in my back after I rolled over in my sleep. That was it, I just rolled over with poor form, I guess. I took advil (smart) and put on a heating pad (stupid) and felt pretty good in the morning so I went to work (stupid). By noon, I was in too much pain to sit in a chair so I went home, which, for me of course, involves sitting in a chair for 45 minutes. When I got home, I took more advil (smart) and said "sure" (stupid) when Carla said "are you ready to take the kids to IdleWild?" I took more advil (less smart) and sat in the durango for 3 hours driving to PA. We learned a couple things about Ellie on the trip: She gets car sick and she hates ferris wheels. She's more and more like me every day. But more on IdleWild later, lots more, with pics and everything, I promise.

IdleWild involves a lot of walking which really hurt my leg, which is what actually hurts when you hurt your back. Something about nerves. I don't know, look it up. So, I took more Advil (bordering on Stupid). We spent the night there and got up and went back to the park for a long time and then drove back Saturday evening. A long drive after a long day of walking calls for more Advil (now very, very stupid). Your body has lots of neat ways of rejecting drugs, even the seemingly harmless ones. One of the more entertaining ways is that you just up and pass out. I, or course, passed out near a wall so the top of my head hit that and my forehead and nose hit the floor. When Carla woke me up my entire head was numb like when your leg falls asleep. She said it took a full minute to wake me up which means roughly 3 or 4 seconds but all I remembered was feeling dizzy then waking up on the floor with an aching head, back, and leg. Mom said the passing out was a reaction to a bagel I ate or something but I'm pretty sure it was the advil.

So, in my long weekend of laying on the floor, I learned a couple things:
No matter what I tell the kids, me laying on the floor means it's time to wrestle.
Hokey Pokey Elmo apparently cheers daddy up when he's sick. In my half paralyzed state, I couldn't even swat it across the room, which actually would have cheered me up.
Walker thinks I'm a total wuss - Dad, why does your back hurt? Oh I hurt it a long time ago and it just hurts sometimes now. Well, how did you hurt it the first time? Picking up a weight. It was too heavy but I tried to pick it up anyway. Oh, maybe Cory can pick up your weight for you. Because he's eighteen and he's strong. Uh, don't you think I'm strong? (Laughing) No.

4 comments:

Robin said...

hey kurt . . . we heard about your fun time with that. . . glad that you are ok (somewhat). . . and we are still praying for you!

love & miss you guys,
bryan & robin

Anonymous said...

uh, kurt...VAGAL reaction, not reaction to a bagel! Evidently they don't teach medical terminology in the how-to-be-a-spreadsheet-guy school.

Mom

Anonymous said...

i agree with your mom! teaching medical terminology to a spreadsheet type guy!!! YIKES!

hope you are doing better.

Jen said...

well you didn't loose your sense of humor when you hit your head ;)
LOL