Monday, February 11, 2008

Hand me the Fisher Price 9/16"

Saturday morning I told Carla I was going to change the oil in the Jeep. Walker asked what that meant so I told him I had to work on the car. He asked if he could help and as soon as I hesitated to give Carla that it-might-be-kind-of-dangerous-and-very-inefficient-and-sure-leftovers-would-be-fine-for-lunch look, he said, "I'll go get my tools." He went into the play room and started rummaging through his tool box and I realized that I had to let him help, inefficient or not, so we went out and started working while Carla and Ellie made cookies. I got a stool out for Walker so he could see under the hood. I showed him the engine and a couple other things and, luckily, he didn't ask me what any parts were that I didn't know. After that, I put him on my new creeper (that I was really looking forward to using but couldn't because I had the kid) and slid him under the car. He used his fisher-price wrench to "loosen" the drain plug for me then hammered on miscellaneous parts of the frame.
Kurt: Walker, do you think the drain plug's a 5/8 or a 9/16?
Walker, without hesitating for an instant: 5/8
Kurt, after trying because I really didn't know: Nope, it must be a 9/16
Walker: Oh, what's "9/16"?
I finally got the plug out and the oil draining - he thought that part was pretty cool. When we were done, I slid out from under the car, grabbed Walker's feet and pulled him out, too. Then he got back up on the stool and hammered some more while I refilled the oil. I thanked him for being a good helper and he said, "I'm the workiest, huh?" Of course, he can't really say R's yet, so it sounded like he was asking me if he was the most wookie. Then we went outside to play a little since it was cold and rainy. We got the bat and balls out and played a little baseball till we got rained out. Then we went on the back porch and played some more while Ellie came out to ride her bike and play on the "spinner" (sit-n-spin). Did I mention there was a giant puddle on the floor of the back porch and that Ellie only lasts about 4 seconds on a sit-n-spin before she goes flying off the back? So, I figured, since she's already got wet pants, we might as well let her be the one to take the first trip down the wet slide so we went back outside to play a little more. Walker had his "fast pants" on so he absolutely flew down the slide and off the edge. It was pretty fun since it was my first weekend home with the kids in a while. By the time we were done and cleaned up, they were really ready for those cookies.

Yesterday, Ellie decided not to take a nap again, so she came downstairs and watched the Sound of Music with Carla. I was working in the basement, being pretty loud. That apparently disturbed Ellie during the songs because she told Carla, "I can't hear the black lady, mama." She, of course, meant the nun in her habit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good Dad. your kids are so honored to have both you and Carla as parents.

I as well am honored to have you as a friend of mine!

Andy and Stacey, Jackson, Molly and Natalie said...

And during all the fun-filled action packed weekend activities, Anderson slept... probably better than him being the first one down the slide!