Friday, December 31, 2010

Juicy, freezing, slimy hands

Ellie and I were snapping green beans for, geez, I think Thanksgiving dinner.  After a while, she said, "My hands are getting juicy."
Me:  Yeah, I don't like snapping green beans either.
Ellie:  Then why are you doing it?
Me:  Well, because I love Mommy and when you love someone you help them, even if you don't like to.  That's why you're helping me, because you love me . . . and because I made you.
El:  Well . . . Mom really made me because I was in her belly.
Me:  No, because I made you help me.
I was not ready to have any such conversations with her yet.

Our whole family spent the night at Bob and Kay's a while ago.  I was sleeping on the second floor and Anderson was sleeping in the basement.  At about 4 am, he woke up and, convinced I was in the garage, put on his shoes (no coat, ~20 degrees outside) and walked out to find me.  Their garage is detached so he was outside for a little while, knocking on the door, I guess.  Fortunately, Kay got up when she heard the door shut and found him walking back to the house, upset that I didn't come to the garage door.  Needless to say, he got to sleep in my bed with me for the rest of the night.

Anderson, at the breakfast table yesterday:  Dipping toast in water is fun and yummy!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Kurt, That is an awesome post. I am still smiling about your conversation.