Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Be careful where you buy your corn meal

Carla goes through Little House on the Prairie kicks once in a while where she'll start reading all the books or, as is the current case, watching all the shows from season 1, which she has on DVD. So, we've all been watching it a lot lately, on acounta' we only got the one TV. In last night's episode, the little town near which the little house on the prairie resides is hit with a little plague of Typhus (yet another Oregon Trail disease we thankfully avoided).

Walker: How do you get Typnus? Can people still get Typnus? Did the rats have Typnus? Can I meet Dr. Baker? Can we go see the real little house on the prairie some day?
Carla gave that one a very enthusiastic Yes.

He also got really mad every time we had to fast-forward it because he didn't want to miss anything. I guess he's a big fan. After the plague episode it was time for the kids to go to bed so they could have plague nightmares. About a half hour later, after we thought everyone was asleep, Walker called down the steps: Hey! What are you guys watching down there? And it better not be Little House on the Prairie!

I took Walker and Ellie out to breakfast individually at Thompson's over break so I could get some 1-on-1 time with them and so I could eat ham and eggs and way too much coffee for breakfast twice in one week. Well, I took Walker first and he raved about the ham when he got home. When it was Ellie's turn to go, Carla asked her what she wanted.
Ellie: Ham and . . . Tacos.

She got pancakes. I ordered her 2 because I didn't know how big they'd be. They were bigger than a dinner plate. She ate half of one and some of my ham. And no tacos.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I wanna go, too!

http://www.walnutgrove.org/museum.htm

Anonymous said...

GGma Walker is a big Little House on the Prairie fan, too. Maybe you could send Carla and the kids to her apartment and tune into some football! Or come over to Uncle Tony's and watch football with him on the big screen! Or maybe you could just suck it up and count this as "quality family time". You're making memories! Love all you guys! Auntie Ann

kay said...

Kurt, the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. My sisters gave me a hard time about watching little house too!